Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Pointless Post #9-- Freezing Meat


When my husband and I got married, we purchased a FoodSaver from Sam's Club. We don't use it on all of our frozen items, but one thing that I LOVE having it for is storing meat. Now I feel like we can safely buy bulk ground beef and turkey and it won't go bad (or get freezer burn) before we have the opportunity to use it.

A couple of years ago, we found another benefit of using the FoodSaver---freezer storage! Up until last month, we only had the freezer that is connected to our refrigerator (which is SMALL)---so we had to be creative. My husband discovered if he sealed the meat in lager package than normal, after it was vacuum sealed, it gave us room to smash it----that evolved to rolling it thin with the rolling pin. Since we only use our ground meats for things like spaghetti sauce, meatloaf and tacos, it works perfectly! Not only does it take up A LOT less room----the meat also thaws A LOT quicker!

Yesterday, I had to finish sealing four pounds of ground beef---see the above picture (the ground beef is stored on the right side).

No comments:

Post a Comment